On May 24, 1928, Harry Busick, owner of the Caswell Hotel and President of the Union Hotel Company, laid the first cornerstone of the Lord Baltimore Hotel, fulfilling his life-long dream, immortalizing himself and his contribution to the city of Baltimore. Prior to the beginning of construction, Mr. Busick commissioned distinguished architects and designers to tour the historic cities of Europe for inspiration with the intent to create the most beautiful and decorative hotel in Baltimore and on the Eastern Seaboard.
Continuing the historical legacy of the hotel, in 1944 the Lord Baltimore commissioned world renowned artists John and Mabel Girogi to document the discovery and growth of Baltimore in time-line murals in the Calvert Ballroom. The historic artistry is preserved and continues to offer an astounding depiction of the very history the hotel represents. In 1960, the Busick family sold the hotel to the New York based Weissberg Hotel Chain. The hotel was closed between 1969 and 1973 for renovation under the ownership of Zanvly Krieger. The property was listed on the National Register in 1982. In 1984, Saul Perlmutter purchased the property and restored it to its original charm. Modern amenities were upgraded with technology for the needs of the modern business traveler. Completed in 1985, the hotel opened its doors once again. The crown jewel of Baltimore once again welcomed Baltimore’s elite.